Unfortunately, we are not available in your area!
You are visiting a version of our website that is outside of your region.
Top Novices Hurdle Betting Odds
As part of the Grand National meeting at Aintree Festival, the Top Novices Hurdle represents one of the Grand 1 National Hunt steeplechase events at the festival. Past winners include big names such as Granville Again and most recently, Jonbon, as the festival immediately after the Cheltenham Festival, horses that ran in the Supreme Novices Hurdle (won by Constitution Hill), will likely have their first race after that event here. Previously, a fair few winners in this race have gone on to win the Champion Hurdle, will 2022 winner Jonbon go on to be a future Champions Novice Hurdle winner?
The race is run at Aintree Racecourse over two miles and half a furlong which is the equivalent to 3,313 metres, the race was established in 1976 but as a novices race, no horse has won this race more than once.
1 in 10 British Horses win this race with another 28 horses placing in that time. Meanwhile, Ireland have only had two winners of this race with eight more placing.
Most Successful Jockeys: Richard Johnson & Tony McCoy (5)
Most Successful Trainers: Nicky Henderson (6)
Top Novices Hurdle Betting Trends
- Paul Nicholls has sent 15 horses to the Top Novices Hurdle, only one has been victorious, with 5 placements in the top 3.
- Robbie Power has ridden two horses in this race, both have finished in the top three, with one winner Pingshou (2017)
- Paddy Brennan and Denis O'Regan have the worst record in this race, participating 7 times and failing to finish in the top three.
- Excluding a fall in the original race and a pull-up in 2021, the favourite has always finished in the top four of the running.
- Every winner has had odds lower than 25/1.
- Every winner has been within the top 8 in the market.
- The most common age for a winner in this race is five-years old, winning 21 out of 45 races.
Top Novices Hurdle Previous Winners
|Year||Winner||Jockey & Trainer|
|2022||Jonbon||Aidan Coleman & Nicky Henderson|
|2021||Belfast Banter||Kevin Sexton & Peter Fahey|
|2019||Felix Desjy||Jack Kennedy & Gordon Elliott|
|2018||Lalor||Richard Johnson & Kayley Woollacott|
|2017||Pingshou||Robbie Power & Colin Tizzard|
|2016||Buveur d'Air||Noel Fehily & Nicky Henderson|
|2015||Cyrus Darius||Brian Hughes & Malcolm Jefferson|
Top Novices Hurdle FAQs
Who won the first Top Novices Hurdle?
Beacon Light won the opening rendition of the race back when it was a grade 2 affair, winning for Bob Turnell & Andy Turnell.
Has any horse won this race multiple times?
No. There have been 45 winners of the race, each being a first time winner.
What is the qualification for the Top Novices Hurdle?
To qualify for this race, horses much have ran in the Supreme Novices Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival and be aged four or over.
Can I watch the Top Novices Hurdle at BetUK?
Yes! Everyone with an account at BetUK will be able to watch the race live at BetUK by checking out the page in our sportsbook closer to the event. During the event, you'll find them in our live betting section.